Mover’s checklist for water and sewage
Here you will find information about water-related issues if you have sold or bought a house in the Helsinki metropolitan area. Remember to inform us about your changed billing and contact information. The page also contains information about the tenant’s water usage contract.
Report a change in property ownership
Have you sold or bought a house in the Helsinki metropolitan area? When the owner of a property is replaced or changes completely, a written notification must be submitted to HSY Water Services. The notification is submitted using the change in property ownership form.
For a notification of change in property ownership, you need the following information:
- Water meter reading from the date of change in occupancy. We recommend that the old and new owner read the water meter together.
- Name and billing information of the old and new owner.
- Place of use and contract number. This information is not mandatory, but will speed up the processing of the form.
Once we have processed the form, we will send a connection and usage contract to the new owner for signature.
Remember to update your waste services as well.
Report a tenant
Only the owner of the property can order a water usage contract for a tenant. After an order placed by the owner, HSY will send a water usage contract to the tenant for signature.
The contract is subject to
- the tenant is a company
- the tenant’s credit information being in order;
- the lease being at least one year in duration; and
- there being only one lease for the property and the tenant occupying the entire property alone.
- From January 20, 2023, the company/entity will be required to have an existing business ID (excluding embassies).
For the tenant’s usage contract form, you need the following information:
- Water meter reading from the start date of the lease.
- The tenant’s name, contact information and business id.
A tenant’s usage contract can be terminated using the change of payer form. For the form, you need a water meter reading from the date of the tenant’s departure and the new billing information.
If the tenant of the property changes, the owner of the property must fill in the tenant’s usage contract form for the new tenant.
Change in your billing and contact information?
Property developer, have you handed over the property to the owner and the water contract is already in the owner’s name? Fill in the change of payer form. For the form, you need a water meter reading from the handover date and the new billing information.
Do you want your water bill or water meter reading requests to be sent to an address other than that of the property? Fill in the change in customer and billing information form. You can also use the form to report a change in online billing information.
My house is unoccupied, what do I do?
If the house is unoccupied during the cold season and the water meter is in danger of freezing, order a removal of the water meter from our connection portal. The water meter must also be removed when the building is to be demolished.
You can also order the installation of a water meter through our connection portal.
If it is not necessary to remove the water meter and the house is unoccupied for a longer period of time, you can lower the annual water consumption forecast by contacting our customer service.
Remember to also terminate your waste services, if necessary.