Emptying of cesspools and septic tanks
HSY is in charge of the emptying and transport of sludge in cesspools and septic tanks belonging to residential properties in the Helsinki metropolitan area and Kirkkonummi. We only carry out emptying for small sewage treatment plants. Other maintenance work must be ordered directly from a private sewer service company.
How to order emptying
You can agree on regular emptying of a tank or order a one-time emptying of sludge from us when the tank is full.
- Non-urgent orders
- Urgent orders
- Call our customer service on 09 1561 2110. We serve on weekdays from 8.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.
Sudden emptying requests made outside office hours
On-call service 3.30 p.m.–8.30 a.m.
tel. 050 307 6041
Are you a new customer?
We recommend that you order the first emptying of sludge by phone from our customer service. If you wish, you can also provide us with the information on your property’s sludge tank by phone in advance. You can then order the first emptying in the web service or by email.
Minimum emptying intervals of cesspools and septic tanks
- Septic tanks into which all wastewater from the property is discharged must be emptied at least once a year.
- Cesspools are emptied as necessary, and frequently enough to avoid any risk or harm to the environment or health, but at least once a year.
- Grey water sludge tanks or grey water treatment plants, i.e. tanks into which the washing water of the property is discharged, must be emptied at least every three years or more often if needed. The property owner must keep a record of the emptying.
Blocked sewer? Here’s what to do!
Order sewer unclogging, flushing and video inspection from a private sewer service company. Emptying of street inlets is also to be ordered directly from a private company.
How to order emptying and prepare for it – watch the video!
Problem at a property connected to the sewer network? Here’s what to do!
- Problem with a sewer located outside the lot? Contact the HSY Water Services technical emergency number 09 1561 3000.
- Problem with a sewer or a connecting manhole leading to a sewer located on your lot? Contact a private sewer service company.