In Water Services
- We supply high-quality drinking water for over a million people in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area.
- We process the wastewater from households and industry effectively in order to protect the Baltic Sea.
- The organic material of sludge is digested and the obtained biogas is recovered at the plants for power and heat production.
- The bio-sludge from the wastewater treatment plants is reprocessed into topsoil on a composting field.
- The lost heat energy of the treated wastewater is recovered in the district heat production at the Katri Vala heat pumping station.
At Waste Management
- We arrange the waste management of housing properties and public administration in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area and Kirkkonummi and take care of the collection of recycled and hazardous waste.
- We arrange the landfill processing and disposal of municipal waste and process the separately collected bio-waste by composting.
- The landfill gas is collected and recovered in the power and heat production.
- We offer updated information about waste sorting and waste prevention.
At Regional and environmental information
- We monitor air quality of the Helsinki Metropolitan Area at 11 measuring stations.
- In order to improve the air quality, a common climate protection programme was compiled for Helsinki Metropolitan Area.
- We promote the implementation of the Climate Strategy 2030 for Helsinki Metropolitan Area and report on its progress.
- We promote the implementation of the Climate Adaptation Strategy for Helsinki Metropolitan Area in cooperation with cities and other regional operators.
Environmental responsibity in HSY year 2015 -brochure